Black Creek Pioneer Village or Black Creek Village is located a little outside of Toronto, on the banks of the Humber River, west of York University. The village, which is an open-air museum, reflects the life in the region in the 19th century. It is an area decorated with village houses, furniture, and mannequins wearing the clothes of the period.
Black Creek Village
It is thought that the first settlement in the village was made by the Iroquois, the North American Indians in the 900s. In 1816, the first Europeans settled in the village. The first settlers are the couple Daniel and Elizabeth Stong. A village among trees such as elm and oak was actually an empty field. The Stong couple settled here and established their farm here. The couple, who got rich by using the fertile lands, expanded their farms over time. The family’s children also contributed to this development, and today the Stong family’s farm forms the basis of this village. In 1954, Hurricane Hazel caused great damage to the village and killed many villagers. Later, various institutions took ownership of the village and made the village a museum by ensuring that the village was repaired.
There are 40 houses in the open-air village museum. These buildings, which are 19th century houses, are decorated with period furniture. The Dalziel Stable and the Stong family homes are among the most notable structures. In order to better revive the village life, horse, sheep, goose and chicken species specific to the region continue their lives in the barns and coops. There is also a gift shop, bar and restaurant in the village. The cost of visiting the village varies between 11-15 Canadian dollars. Tickets purchased in advance from the website are more discounted.